You may think you clicked on a recipe for a typical beef cheesesteak, but look again! We have a delicious plant-based cheesesteak that tastes just like beef, only healthier. Get all of the ingredients and more at Santoni’s!
1 lb of Beyond Beef
1 cup of cola
7 oz of water
3 (6-inch) hoagie rolls
1 white onion
7 oz american cheese
3 tbsp vegetable oil
salt and pepper
- Prep the caramelized onions: Thinly slice the onion. Combine the sliced onion, cola, and a pinch of salt in a small pot and heat to a simmer. Cook down until the onions are reduced and the cola is completely evaporated. Be careful not to burn them!
- Make the cheese sauce: To make the cheese sauce, combine cheese and water in a small sauce pot and bring to medium heat. Whisk until fully incorporated, and keep warm for serving.
- Cook the Beyond Beef®: Heat the oil in a non-stick pan on medium-high heat. Crumble the Beyond Beef® into the pan and sear while stirring. Add salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste.
- Assemble sandwich: Once the Beyond Beef® is cooked, stir in caramelized onion. Place this mixture on 6-inch hoagie roll, and top with cheese sauce. Place your assembled sandwich in the oven and set to broil for approximately 20 seconds, or until the cheese is melted.
- Add any of your favorite toppings such as lettuce, tomato or mayonnaise.
- Serve, share, and enjoy!
- Great Tip: Be sure to let the Beyond Beef thaw before cooking.